The Wake County Juvenile Crime Prevention Council (JCPC) work is organized across the following committee structure to meet the council’s legislative mandates.
This Committee consists of the JCPC Chair and Vice-Chair, Chairs of each standing committee and the Chief Court Counselor. The Executive Committee sets the calendar and agenda for JCPC meetings and in accordance with JCPC by-laws has the authority to make decisions on behalf of the full JCPC when time is a factor.
Community Relations Committee
The purpose of this committee is to increase public awareness of the causes of juvenile delinquency, youth gang activity, risk and protective factors related to both, as well as strategies to reduce the problem. Activities include contributing to the JCPC’s Comprehensive Annual Plan, sharing resource information and developing strategies for communicating with the community, such as brochures, information on the JCPC website, and forums or other events as needed. Chair: Christal Carmichael
Data/Annual Plan Committee
The purpose of this committee is to complete the JCPC Annual Planning process that begins with a collaborative assessment of multiple data sources related to:
- Wake County risk factors that contribute to juvenile delinquency and youth gang activity (based on a research-based profile of risk factors in five domains: individual, family, peer group, school, and community)
- Existing resources in Wake County to offset the identified risk factors
- Resources needed to prevent and intervene with juvenile delinquency and youth gang activity
- Any additional data sources recommended by the committee while continuing to improve JCPC assessment and planning processes
The committee work is completed through the following activities:
- Review the risk and needs data of juveniles in the county who are at risk of delinquency or who have been adjudicated undisciplined or delinquent
- Review the resources available to address those risks and needs
- Prioritize community risk factors
- Determine the services needed to address risk factors
- Develop a request for proposal (RFP) for needed services
- Submit a written plan of action (JCPC Annual Plan) for the expenditure of juvenile sanction (dispositional options) and prevention funds (based on the Funding Committee recommendations) to the county board of commissioners for approval
- This committee works very closely with the Funding Committee.
Chairs: Beth Nelson, Jonathan Glenn
This committee is responsible for developing strategies to intervene and appropriately respond to the needs of Wake County youth at risk of or involved with juvenile delinquency and youth gang activity and their families. Strategies are identified based on the JCPC Annual planning process. The work of this committee results in a continuum of care that includes programs and services based on the findings of the JCPC Annual Planning process.
This committee will lead program scoring, RFP interviews, funding deliberations and reporting back to the board the funding recommendations made in deliberations for a final full-board vote. Chairs: Christy Famolare, Ann Godwin
Program Support and Accountability Committee
The purpose of this committee is to review and monitor JCPC funded programs to ensure quality programming, performance, and accountability. Activities include quarterly monitoring and six-month site visits of funded programs, providing information and referrals to agencies for strengthening their programs and contributing to the JCPC’s Comprehensive Annual Plan. This committee works closely with the funding committee in developing the Request for Proposals (RFP), establishing criteria for rating the proposals, and facilitating the funding allocation process. Chair: Christy Famolare